Thursday, January 13, 2011

thinkerly...

I'm a words girl. I've mentioned that here. I love quotes. From movies. From books. From people.

I'm reading through the bible this year with a group of girls. I am currently reading in Genesis about Jacob and Esau...and the thing I couldn't get away from after reading and realizing the older son always got a double portion was how that made The Prodigal Son parable take on a new meaning.

The older brother knew custom. He knew he was getting DOUBLE what his younger brother had gone out and wasted. But the older brother was so busy stewing, so busy fussing with the Father about how BAD the younger brother was...he couldn't enjoy his blessing HIS DOUBLE BLESSING.

It reminded me again of how we (*I*) am...
and it reminded me of this quote...

''When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.'' --Alexander Graham Bell

Don't live a life of regret...of could have, should have, would have...don't wait to start...don't spend your days lamenting the choices of others...to the point that it robs you of the JOY of your blessings.

We get one shot, once chance.

Make it count.

2 comments:

Heather said...

The sermon was on Jacob and Esau this past weekend. I wrote poems about them this week. It has be thinking a lot about brothers fighting and deceiving and what role the mother plays in all that. My children are Jacob and Esau in so many ways. Haydn = wild Esau. David = sweet but sneaky Jacob.

Stephanie said...

Well said. : )

I'm reading thru chronologically this year, so basically starting in Job, and I just finished reading this morning about God's power in nature - may be my new favorite chapter ever.