Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday Sanctuary

Donald has always worked odd hours or shifts, working most holidays too. So, the traditional weekend never really held a lot of significance for me. But, somewhere along the way I fell in love with Saturday morning.  I still get up early. (but not as early as during the school week) I have the house to myself. It's quiet. 

I drink coffee and just ''be''
In Montana, I remember, sitting there drinking coffee and reading Nie ... long before her plane crash or book deal. I loved the life she lived...the little touches she added...how she made each day special. I would also spend time at Apartment Therapy. I lived in a house. But, again, just the ideas...the beautiful spaces....all made my Saturday morning time. 

Along the way, I stopped reading blogs...I still don't read any regularly...
but I'm taking my Saturday mornings back.

There is something about a Saturday morning...and I want to get back into the habit of appreciating it. :)

So, this morning...
I had coffee...
I went for a long walk...
I planned out my day...
I'm finding , lately, that little adjustments are making the biggest differences...



This week, I posted about my swirly scarf. This is the handwarmer... well, there will be two...and , if I am honest...this is NOT one of them. This one is completed...but I am going to tweak things a little . But I should finish them up this weekend. :)  



See those beauties? I baked them for an hour and now they are sitting in my fridge ready to be made into homemade tomato basil soup for Meatless Monday.  I found the recipe that I love using for this soup over at Annie's Eats.



and that...which , honestly, doesn't look like much there...is currently bubbling away in the crockpot. Donald's very favorite soup. Zuppa Toscana. 

I browned off the sausages in a skillet and then added some water and a diced onion and let it cook for about 15 more minutes.
I sliced them and then added the sausages and the onion into the crockpot.
Along with 5-6 chopped up potatoes.
And 32 oz of chicken stock.
I added a bit of water-just till everything was covered...
Then I added a liberal sprinkling of black pepper .
That will cook till the potatoes are done (4 ish hours on high...)
and about 30 minutes before we eat I will mix some milk (or cream...but I'm using milk) with flour and add that to the crockpot.
Along with some kale.
I'll let it cook on high another 30-45 minutes.
And voila.
Zuppa Toscana. :)



Donald brought home donuts this morning. Do you contemplate how to spell doughnuts? I go back and forth. ;)  But, anyway, Donald brought home donuts ...which means the kids were very happy. I made the two ingredient banana pancakes for me. They are my very favorites but today I added a splash of coconut flavoring-fabulous!

I'd planned on making some banana bread today. Using this recipe. Alas, I don't feel like it. So, I took the VERY READY (as in they reallllllly needed to be used today) bananas out of their skin...and dropped them into freezer bags (4-5 to a bag...I had two bunches READY) and popped them in the freezer. Did you know you could do that? Yep. Now, when I get around to making the banana bread, I just have to take them out and let them thaw and proceed with my recipe. :)

So, there you go... 
My Saturday...
still left...football
and supper
and laundry 
(always laundry)
and maybe
another walk...

Happy rest of the Weekend. :)

No comments: