Thursday, May 16, 2013

In the middle of being thankful...


Get along among yourselves, each of you doing your part. Our counsel is that you warn the freeloaders to get a move on. Gently encourage the stragglers, and reach out for the exhausted, pulling them to their feet. Be patient with each person, attentive to individual needs. And be careful that when you get on each other’s nerves you don’t snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.
 Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. 1 Thessalonians 5:13-18


I'll be really honest. I am typing this late Wednesday night...because, I forgot it was Wednesday. I'm typing it in our rental home...where it is a cozy 86 degrees at present. It was 95 degrees today. I am sunburned. Oh and I have hot flashes.  So, I almost missed my deadline for writing. I'm hot, sunburned, hot-flashing and my air conditioning is broken and our high tomorrow is 98 degrees.

You know what.
I struggle with being thankful - right this minute.
I could lie...and tell you I am happy to have a home (and I am) , I could say ''oh, it's  first world problem, many have it so much worse'' (and they do) I could pretend and SAY the right thing-but , if I am honest and transparent, I will say...sometimes-it's hard to be thankful. (especially when you are sticking to a leather couch...)

Here is the thing. 

Sometimes it is...
it just is...

but that is why we have the Word. 
To remind us...
that regardless of our momentary troubles (regardless of how hot it is...or how hard things seem)
that we are to FIND thankfulness...

Did you read that whole snippet of scripture up there?
Did you?

because, it addresses a lot of 'us'...
a lot of our struggles...
our problems...

it tells us to work it out, to get along...to do our part.
it tells us to warn the freeloaders to get a move on...
it tells us to encourage those lagging behind and to lend a hand to those that are exhausted...
it tells us to be patient-to pay attention to individual needs...
and it says to be careful...that when you get on each other nerves (it's in the Word...it's going to happen...people WILL INDEED GET ON YOUR NERVES) to not snap at each other...
and finally it says to look for the best in each other...
but not only to look for the best...
but
to bring it out in each other...

THIS
is why we have the Word.

Because, the Word reminds us that our FEELINGS are not what we follow.  
I don't believe we have to pretend . I think (I mean, I just admitted my current feelings...it's HOT in here, y'all) we can be honest, express a true feeling WITH the understanding that we aren't going to wallow in it. 

The Word...acknowledges that everything is not going to be perfect...
that hard times and trials will come...
 our hearts will be broken...
 we will face questions and things will happen that do not make sense...
there will be times, that we struggle to believe...
and it won't seem like things are ''working together for our good''

but-
the Word
reminds us...
as Christ's followers that we are a family...
we are responsible for each other...
to carry each other...
to lend a hand...
to encourage ...
to pray...
to cheer...
to be thankful...

(now, send a sister a fan!)



No comments: